Juana Díaz(HWAH-nah DEE ahz)
Juana Díaz is known as "La Ciudad del Mabí" (mabí city) and "La Ciudad de los Reyes y los Poetas" (city of kings and poets). Juana Díaz was founded in 1798. The civil government of this territory was established in April 25, 1798.
Juana Díaz is located in the southern coast of the island, south of Villalba; east of Ponce; and west of Coamo and Santa Isabel. Several rivers run through the Juana Díaz territory, among them: Jacaguas, Descalabrado, Inabón, Guayo and Cañas.
Juana Díaz produces sugar cane and beige marble--one of the finest marbles in the world.
There are many well-known "juanadinos", among them: Luís Llorens Torres, Arturo Gomez Costa, Emilia Villaronga de Armstrong, Soledad Llorens Torres, tomas Carrion Maduro, Maria Braschi, Lic. Herminia Torres Garcia, Luis Felipe de Jesus, Cesareo Rosa-Nieves, Jose A. Romeu, Pedro Antornio Ocasio Bermudez, Herminuo Mercado, Jose Chen Izquierdo, eladio Vega, Ramon Tristani, Jr., and Victor Cotto.
|Land Area:||159 sq km (60.6 sq mi)|
|Water Area:||46.75 sq mi|
|Density:||313.81 per sq km (818.2 per sq mi)|
|Per Capita Income:||$5,632|
|Source: 2000 Census|
|Hymn:||Juanadinos, alcemos las voces...|
|Wards:||Amuelas, Callabo, Capitanejo, Cintrona, Collores, Guayabal, Jacaguas, Lomas, Pueblo, Río Cañas Abajo, Río Cañas Arriba, Sabana Llana and Tijeras.|
|Driving Distance:||69.5 miles *|
|Driving Time:||1 hour, 38 minutes *|
Festivals and Events
- Festival Santos Reyes - Juanuary
- Festival Sapo Toro - April
- Fiestas Patronales de San Ramon Nonato - September
- Every year, Juana Diaz celebrates a patron saint festival, San Pedro. The festivities include dances, food, parades and religious processions. (787) 837-2185
- Fiestas Puertorriquenas - December
- Mavi Carnival - April
- Juana Diaz celebrates in April a mavi carnival, a fermented drink made from the bark of the ironwood (Colubrina reclinata) tree. The festivities include dances, food, parades and costumes. (787) 837-2185
- Semana Llorensiana - May