Loíza is known as "El Pueblo de la Cacica". Loíza was proclaimed a town officially in 1692 and named in honor of Yuisa or Luisa, one of the women caciques on the island when the Spanish conquerors arrived.
Settled by Nigerian slaves of the Yoruba tribe in the 16th century, Loíza is a center for African-inspired traditions, retaining one of the highest percentages of African descendants of all island towns. Among those traditions Loíza celebrates the "Fiestas Patronales" where salsa dancing, masquerades, colorful parades and rich Puerto Rican food make this festival a classic. The nine days of this carnival pay homage to Loízas patron saint, St. James.
Loíza is a great place to sample the Puerto Rican variety of Afro-Caribbean cuisine.
Its San Patricio Church (begun in 1645) is the oldest on the island still active as a parish church.
Loíza is located in the northeastern coast, north of Canóvanas; east of Carolina; and west of Río Grande.
The surrounding areas produces sugar cane, fruits, and coconuts.
There are many well-known "loiceños", among them: Ramón Suarez and Belen Zequeria de Cuevas.
|Land Area:||65 sq km (25.0 sq mi)|
|Water Area:||46.27 sq mi|
|Density:||500.5 per sq km (1,301.4 per sq mi)|
|Per Capita Income:||$5,283|
|Source: 2000 Census|
|Hymn:||Loiceños en Acción|
|Coordinates:||18° 25' 11.5104" N, 65° 52' 23.1456" W|
|Wards:||Canóvanas, Medianía Alta, Medianía Baja, Pueblo, Torrecilla Alta and Torrecilla Baja.|
|Driving Distance:||6.6 miles *|
|Driving Time:||13 minutes *|
Book your Trip!